Monday, September 6, 2010

Potato Mac

This dish is one that B grew up eating when he was little. He spoke of it many times before and it sounded interesting so I just had to try it. My mil gave me this recipe. As a child, he probably enjoyed it. As a grownup, though, you figure out that all it is is carbs. Nothing wrong with indulging in that pleasure every now and again. This recipe, when made milder, would work great for children!

2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 package of whole wheat elbow macaroni
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Pinch of asafoetida powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp green chili paste
1 tsp garlic paste
sriracha sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
Dash of sugar (optional)
Shredded cheese for garnish (optional)

1. Boil the elbow macaroni until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in nonstick pan. When hot, add the mustard seeds, then the cumin seeds. Wait for it to splutter. Remove from heat and add the asafoetida powder.
3. Add the onions first and sautee for a few minutes until soft. Then add the potatoes and salt. Close lid and let the potatoes do their thing on medium heat.
4. After about 3-4 minutes, open lid and add the garlic-green chili paste as well as the turmeric powder. Close lid again and let the potatoes cook through.
5. Once the potatoes are completely cooked (roughly 5 minutes later), add in the elbow macaroni. Mix in red chili powder, the sriracha sauce (a little goes a long way, gotta remember that!), lemon juice and dash of sugar together. Cook for just about 1 minute more.
6. Finally, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot. Place cheese on table. "To each their own!" Enjoy .. I certainly did.

This dish is definitely added to one of my favorites. It so closely resembles my other favorite (puva bataka) and it contains two of my favorite things (potatoes and pasta!). As I noted above, I went a little overboard on the sriracha sauce. I would suggest only adding a dash and allowing everyone to add more at the table, if they wish. Otherwise, it's a winner ... my only question is .. "How come I didn't grow up eating this stuff?"

No comments:

Post a Comment