Friday, December 24, 2010

Veggie Ma Po Tofu

Ma Po Tofu is a vegetarian dish found on P. F. Chang's menu and probably on the menu of most popular Chinese restaurants. I have never had it and did not even know what it looked like. So, when B suggested I make it, I was kind of nervous. I researched it on the web, built up the courage and this is what we had for dinner tonight.

1/2 package of extra firm tofu
1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1/4 onion, chopped
5 mushrooms (portobello is what I used, but shitake would probably work well), quartered
1.5 tbsp corn starch
1 cup vegetable stock
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
1 tsp garlic paste

1. Prepare the tofu by draining all of the liquid from package. Lay out a few paper towels on plate. Place tofu on paper towel. Place a few more paper towels on top. Place another plate on top as well as some sort of weight, such as a skillet or a few canned items. Let rest for atleast one hour before cooking.
2. I used one half of the block. (The other half I froze for later use.) Cut the tofu block in the center, and then into small cubes.
3. Heat up about 3 tbsp oil in wok or wide nonstick skillet. Braize the tofu on all sides. Place on paper towel to drain out excess oil. Meanwhile, combine the corn starch with the soy sauce, chili garlic paste and 1/3 cup stock. Keep aside.
4. With whatever oil that is left in skillet, I added 1/2 tsp garlic paste. Let it sizzle for about 30 seconds, then added the onions. Stir fry for one minute. Remove from skillet.
5. Heat up 1 tsp oil in skillet. Add 1/2 tsp garlic paste and let is sizzle for 30 seconds. Stir fry the mushrooms for one minute. Then, remove in same plate as onions.
6. Heat up 1 tsp oil in skillet. Stir fry the broccoli for one minute and remove onto plate with other vegetables.
7. In now empty skillet, add the reserved corn starch mixture you made in step 3 along with the 2/3 vegetable stock. Mix together until sauce thickens. Add more water if you prefer a thinner consistency.
8. To the sauce, add the vegetables and tofu and mix for 2 minutes.
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions. Serve with a wedge of lime, crushed honey roasted peanuts and Chinese sauce (see recipe below)) on the side. We also served with brown rice.

Chinese Sauce:
3 tsp garlic chili sauce
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp vinegar

Combine the ingredients together. Serve as condiment with your favorite Chinese dish.

Imagine my surprise when B found this dish to be almost perfect. He complimented me on the fact that I actually stir fried the veggies, instead of steaming, like I usually do. "You need the veggies to be crunchy, not mushy," he says. The spice level was also great. The one thing that could be changed was that the sauce came out too thick. To remedy that, I will reduce the amount of corn starch to less than 1 tbsp. The other thing I would change (or add) is 1/2 tsp black bean sauce (or douchi) that is usually added to this dish. I did not have it on hand. Other than that, this recipe is one I will definitely include in "the cookbook"!

No comments:

Post a Comment